Advanced Learning Program for Higher Achievement is a project-based class designed to meet the needs of the gifted student by enhancing what they are learning in the general classroom. The program is open to students in grades 3-5 based on the following criteria: combined scores from a cognitive test such as InView, Terra Nova scores from ELA and Math, and DIBELS.
Specific Learning Outcomes
- Provide examples, illustrations and salient features of different relationships.
- Form and revise questions for investigations.
- Use multiple sources to locate information for each question.
- Produce research projects and reports in effective formats using visuals to support the research.
- Develop analytical and interpretive skills in literature.
- Develop understanding of selected literary themes.
- Develop linguistic competency through vocabulary and language study.
- Develop skills in written and oral communication.
- Develop higher level thinking and reasoning skills in language arts.
- Develop research skills.
Course Aims & Outcomes
- Develop concepts related to different relationships.
- Work independently and collaboratively on certain projects.
- Will actively participate in solving various problems using specific problem solving techniques.
- Will participate in novel studies with rich, complex language, open-endedness to create reflection, and helpfulness in building problem-solving skills.
- Will develop research skills using various types of technology and resources.